2013 is the year of the peanut butter cookie.
I have lamented the Booze Hound’s dislike of peanut butter on this blog many, many times. Not only does it just make me feel sad, but it means I have accumulated a bunch of peanut butter cookie recipes throughout the years that have lain fallow. Unmade, unloved. Sadly, I just don’t bake enough to make a cookie that won’t be a fan fave in the house.
Not this year! If you get cookies from me this year, they will be some form of peanut butter cookies. That recipe collection I started? Yeah, I’m making ALL of them. MUAHAHAHA! With and without chocolate. Sugared and salted. I gotta know… am I sitting on the king of all peanut butter cookies? Or must I continue my quest for the perfect one? The only way to know is to bake all of them in succession, then compare.
God bless the Costco double pack of JIF.
Of course I picked the easiest one to start with because it could be made within minutes of my decision to embark on a peanut butter cookie baking frenzy. And let me just say… I’m 1 for 1!!
Flourless baked goods can either be terrible if there’s some nasty flour substitute, OR amazing if the lack of flour just opens the door for more deliciousness from things like peanut butter, chocolate, etc. I’m pleased to report it’s the latter with these babies! The lack of additional ingredients means the peanut butter is the star of the show. Shine on, peanut butter. Shine on.
If you have a lover, and I mean lurrrrr-verrrrr of peanut butter in your life, these cookies need to be made for that person. And, because they are gluten-free, you’ll make your gluten-intolerant friends leap for joy. It isn’t every day an amazing gluten-free cookie comes down the pike.
Now I move onto more haute cuisine peanut butter cookies with fancy princess tricks, like sea salt and bittersweet chocolate chunks. But when eating peanut butter out of a jar is no longer good enough, and you feel the need to consume what tastes like pure peanut butter in cookie form, these are your jam. Or jelly. Mmmmmm.
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, sugars, eggs, baking soda, and salt until smooth. (This is easiest if you use a stand mixer on low speed.)
- Shape the dough into balls (about 1½ Tbs each) and place 3-4 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. If your dough is really crumbly, pop the bowl of dough into the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Bake, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until puffed and golden, 12-13 minutes (the cookies will deflate as they cool). Let cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 24 cookies.