As much as cooking Thanksgiving dinner should absolve you from having to prepare food through the New Year… Thanksgiving leftovers only last so long, and you are going to have to get back at it, lest your family starve or spiral down the path of eating take-out for the next month to the point your fat pants feel tight. No one wants that.
Luckily, I have streamlined one of the easiest meals on the planet to an even easier version: Roasted Sausages, Peppers, and Onions.
Usually, making the classic Sausage + Peppers + Onions involves browning each vegetable in a pan on its own, then combining them in a roasting pan to finish in the oven. But I have a LOT of baking to do, Christmas commercials to cry at, and Pottery Barn decorations to lust over, so I’m going to need something even easier. I’m going to need something that involves only one step.
I gave this Italian-American classic a whirl using only my oven and got SWEET results. (Actually, it’s ironic because there is nothing sweet about this meal… in fact, it’s perfect for helping you down from the sugar high you will inevitably be on all month long.) Meat + vegetables = healing powers.
The peppers and onions get nicely caramelized in the oven, and the sausages cook beautifully from a raw state. None of this pre-boiling-the-sausages nonsense. Your seasoning? Garlic, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. It’s a no-brainer, and it’s awesome.
As an aside, I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I have countless things in life that deserve thanks. In fact, I made a ‘thankful list’ the other day and covered each side of the paper before moving on to a second. That is the sign of a truly blessed life! Wishing everyone a safe and happy start to what will be a VERY fun, VERY fabulous, and VERY full of all the good food holiday season!!
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into ½-inch strips
- 2 medium onions, cut into ½-inch wedges
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 8 Italian sausages (hot or sweet- your call)
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Basil leaves, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a large bowl, toss the bell peppers with the onions, olive oil, crushed red pepper, ½ tsp salt (or less if you are using an Italian seasoning blend that contains salt) and ½ tsp pepper. Spread in a single layer on a large sheet or roasting pan lined with parchment paper. Roast for 40 minutes, until the peppers are tender.
- Increase the oven temperature to 400°. Add the garlic and Italian seasoning and stir to combine. Nestle the sausages into the vegetables. Using a sharp knife, prick the sausages in a few places. Roast for 20 minutes, until the sausages are cooked through and browned in spots. Stir in the vinegar, sprinkle with the basil and serve.