It’s no secret I love champagne, and although I’m a total French snob, I don’t discriminate about other countries’ sparkling wine products. Give me cava, prosecco, California sparkling wine. I’ll be happy.
You can’t beat a tall glass of pure chilled bubbles, but I also completely love it mixed with OJ (jus d’orange for les French snobs) or with a dash of bitters and a sugar cube to make a totally retro and chic champagne cocktail. And now I love it mixed with pureed strawberries, mint and lime.
This delightful adult beverages has all the fabulous flavors of a daiquiri, margarita, and mojito all rolled up in a pretty glass and topped with bubbles. It’s just sweet enough to complement all the flavors, and just light enough that you can drink it outside in the hot sun and feel refreshed.
The downside to its light nature is that you can easily drink four of them in the blink of an eye. Good if you’re trying to prevent scurvy, bad if you have to be sober enough to figure out how to assemble your baby’s new pool float.
The mojito is now no longer my only beverage of choice when my mint launches its yearly Tet Offensive on the rest of my garden space. This little number is perfect for parties, brunches, or generally any time you want an adult beverage but don’t feel like breaking out the hard liquor (for the record, the Booze Hound says: ‘I never feel that way’). Still, he gave it a manly thumbs-up and agreed that the scent of all those summer ingredients blended together was intoxicatingly divine.
OK, so he totally didn’t say that. I think he said ‘smells good,’ then went back to watching Sport Center while I came up with words like ‘intoxicatingly divine,’ applauding myself for a drink well-blended.
You could also make this with club soda and a little extra simple syrup for a kid-friendly version. Unless your kid is teething, then you might want to stick to the original… for scurvy-prevention purposes only, of course.
Any way you pour it, this is one tasty, pretty, summery drink. Cheers!
- 3 c sliced strawberries (about 1½ lbs)
- ½ c fresh mint leaves
- ½ c fresh lime juice (don't even think about using the bottled stuff)
- ¼ c water
- ¼ c simple syrup*
- 1 750-ml bottle champagne/sparkling wine/cava/prosecco, chilled
- Mint leaves, lime wedges, and/or whole strawberries for garnish
- Place first five ingredients in a blender, process until smooth (about a minute).
- Pour ½ c strawberry mixture into each of six glasses, and top with ½ c champagne.
- Alternately, pour all of the strawberry mixture into a pitcher, then slowly add the entire bottle of champagne.
- Stir gently to combine, and garnish glasses as desired.