Challenge Burger Series: Burgers with Chipotle Mayo and Strawberry-Avocado Salsa

by Food Hound on May 10, 2011

in Main Dishes, Meat, Sauces and Dressings

The burger.

The ultimate carnivore canvas. You can dress it up, you can dress it down. You can serve it naked (gasp). You can vary the bun, you can vary the meat. You can stuff it with cheese, top it with cheese, or eat blocks of cheese while you grill it. You can cook it on a grill or a griddle.
It’s also the ultimate crowd-pleaser. No one’s face falls when you invite them over for burgers. Your boss could fire you and your cat could get stuck in a tree, but it’s still an ok day if burgers are on the menu for dinner.
It is for these reasons that I am starting a burger series. OK, you got me- I really want to do a cupcake series, but the only Challenge-approved cupcake ingredient is the egg. No bueno.
So burgers it is. For now 🙂

Once a week for ten weeks, I will make a new, outrageously fabulous burger. I will vary the meat, the toppings, the spices, and the cooking method. I will make Bobby Flay wish he lived closer.
Food Hound Classic Beef Burger
Makes (4) 8-oz burgers
2 lbs grass-fed, 85% lean ground beef
Sea salt
Freshly-ground black pepper
Garlic powder
1. Preheat your grill to high for at least 10-15 minutes so it gets nice and hot.
2. Mix the meat and seasonings (to taste) only until just combined. Form them into loose tennis-ball sizes and gently press them to flatten. Remember, the less you handle the meat, the more tender they will be. Make a thumbprint indentation in each burger to prevent “burger bloat.”
2. When your grill is hot enough (and clean), grill the burgers over direct high heat for 4-5 minutes on the first side and 3-4 minutes on the second side. This will all depend on your grill, the thickness of your burgers, and how you like them. I like mine medium, and the above times work well for me. Never, ever squeeze the burgers while they are cooking. All the juice runs out, and you are left with a meat puck. Let them rest for about 1-2 minutes once they come off the grill, and I promise juicy, tasty burgers.
Chipotle Mayo
Ground chipotle OR minced chipotle canned in adobo sauce, either to taste
Mix mayo and chipotle in a small bowl. Slather 1 T over each burger.
Strawberry-Avocado Salsa
Adapted from Cooking Light
Yields about 4 cups
2 c finely chopped strawberries
2 avocados, finely chopped
1/4 c finely chopped red onion
2 T chopped fresh cilantro
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, toss gently. Serve immediately on top, or along side of burgers.

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Christy May 11, 2011 at 1:12 am

This is very carnivorous indeed!! LOL 😀

girlichef May 11, 2011 at 11:46 am

What a curious combination…I totally want to try it. It sounds delicious 😀

Design Wine and Dine May 11, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I LOVE this FOODHOUND! Very creative and I know it’s delicious! Bobby should be shakin in his boots!!!

Parsley Sage May 11, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Strawberries and avocado. Brilliant! My stomach just reached up and smacked my brain ‘MAAAAAAAAAKE this!’ I gotta say, I’m in full support of a burger series. Cupcakes are pretty sweet, but burgers give me warm fuzzies inside.

As for Cayman, I came here for a job a little over four years ago working for the government as a ‘reporter.’ Pretty sweet gig 🙂

Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany) May 11, 2011 at 2:00 pm

You are so right – burgers are a great foodie canvas! Fill ’em up with anything you like! I am excited to see what you come up with in this new Burger challenge. Strawberries and avocado…your already off to a great start!

Rita May 11, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Thank you!Looks and sounds really good! I never make burgers; they are my husband’s speicalty and they are pretty hard to beat.
Love this salsa to accompany your burger; it would probably make me feel healthier cause I do love my burger.

Foodness Gracious May 11, 2011 at 3:52 pm

What a great idea! You just cant beat a good juicy burger and so many choices and combos. My favorite has to have a good blue cheese melted on top with bacon and carmelised onions, mmmmmmm.

Tammy May 11, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Oh how delicious!!! That burger looks sooo juicy! I’m going crazy over all the flavors- the chipotle and strawberry salsa! I’m eating over your house next time! 🙂

xx,
Tammy

Nutmeg Nanny May 13, 2011 at 11:27 pm

This looks great! I love the sweetness of the strawberries….yum!

Indie.Tea May 14, 2011 at 5:33 am

Awww, I don’t eat beef/red meat (no burgers for me)…but the strawberry-avocado salsa sounds delicious. I usually make lemon-saffron or chive-garlic aioli, I’ll have to try your chipotle mayo soon 🙂

Mehjabeen Arif May 14, 2011 at 10:51 am

Thats an interesting combination !

New to ur space and Happy to follow u !

Do visit me as time permits !

France Morissette May 14, 2011 at 4:38 pm

What a fab idea. Love it! Looking forward to your next burger creation.