Tate’s Bake Shop Chocolate Chip Cookies

by Food Hound on January 27, 2011

in Desserts

I must be fashionable. I must be en vogue. I must be de moda.

I must make Tate’s Bake Shop Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Ever since these fine nibbles of confectionary heaven created a tidal wave in the blogosphere, I have felt like the last kid picked for kickball in gym. I felt left out. Everyone was making them, and I wanted to be a part of it. And Tate’s is located in the Hamptons, which any Cosmo girl knows is the place to see and be seen.

And as if I didn’t need more reasons to make these buttery discs of perfection, Barefoot Contessa uses them as the base for her Mocha Icebox Cake in her How Easy Is That? cookbook. Tate’s cookies surrounded by mascarpone cheese, whipped cream, and Kahlua.

Be still, my beating heart!

So I enjoyed a nice, lazy afternoon with my paws caked in Tate’s batter. Don’t get me wrong, good old Tollhouse is a reliable recipe with a certain whisper of nostalgia in every bite. But Tate’s has ’em beat. And there’s nothing really overly special about the recipe… although 2 sticks of butter always means something special Chez Hound. It makes a very thin cookie that you must cool completely before trying to transfer off your baking sheet. Trust me, otherwise you’ll end up with some, er, creatively-shaped cookies. And unlike Tollhouse, these babies need to get nice and golden brown. I don’t think I left mine in long enough, so they lacked the signature crispy texture.

The flavor is outta sight, and the copious chocolate chip provisions ensures a good time is had by all. It makes about 3 dozen (or 3 dozen minus 3 cookies for batter testing purposes), which is not enough for BC’s cake, but all it means is that I get to make them again 🙂

So invite your BFFs over, eat these cookies in your skinny jeans with heels, make a pitcher of cosmos, and try not to tweet about how you saw Sarah Jessica Parker *gasp* eating dessert the other day. Catty? Yes. But it’s totally what you do in the Hamptons. That… and eat Tate’s 🙂 Enjoy!

Tate’s Bake Shop Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yields 3 dozen cookies
2 cups AP flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 c salted butter (2 sticks)– I accidentally used unsalted and they still turned out GREAT
3/4 c sugar
3/4 c brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tsp water
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or line cookie sheets with parchment paper (this is an important step because the baked cookies are quite thin and break easily!)
2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and salt. In another large bowl, cream and butter and sugars, then add the water and vanilla. Mix until just combined. Add eggs to the butter mixture and mix lightly.
3. Stir in the flour mixture. When flour is mixed in, fold in the chocolate chips. Drop 2 T of the cookie dough at least 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 12-13 minutes, or until the edges and centers of the cookies are golden brown. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 3-4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Angela January 27, 2011 at 4:25 am

I so look forward to your posts. Your writing is so witty and your recipes are so delightful.

Karen Chan January 27, 2011 at 6:58 am

One more reason I LOVE Ina! I’m so obsessed with Tate’s cookies (yes like the rest of the universe) but who cares when they’re that good right?

katerina January 27, 2011 at 8:43 am

You convinced me I will try them. They look awesome.

From the Kitchen January 27, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Although we seem to have a number of mutual blogging friends, we’ve not yet met. Here I am and delighted to be here reading your witty writing and being enticed by your recipes. Alas, I feel that I am now the lone blogger having not yet tried Tate’s cookies.

Best,
Bonnie

Jess January 27, 2011 at 2:21 pm

You know, I have a recipe modification assignment for one of my classes, and I just so happened to be assigned chocolate chip cookies, and I just so happen to have to make the full-fat version in addition to the modified one…and I just so happen to have to taste test them and compare…

…might I have just found my recipe?

Rita January 27, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I am in the kitchen right now making your cookies.

Barbara January 27, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I think I must be THE LAST PERSON to have had Tate’s chocolate chip cookies – but I’m going to give them a try very soon.

Food Hound, I just discovered your blog recently from ‘She’s in the Kitchen’. (Don’t you just love Katrina?) From what I’ve read so far, I think you love Ina Garten (who doesn’t?) Anyway, have you ever tried her recipe for “lemon chicken breasts” in her latest book ‘How Easy is That?’ If so, what did you think? yummy? good? just okay?

Thanks for your insite. Now I’m going to go poke around your site and see what I’ve been missing.

Design Wine and Dine January 27, 2011 at 5:21 pm

OK, I have seen these all over the place too! I must try them…I’m just afraid becasue I do not do well around chocolate chip cookies if you know what I mean…it sounds like I’ll be a disaster around these!!!!!!!!!!

Velva January 28, 2011 at 12:19 am

I have seen these cookies all over the blogosphere. Glad you enjoyed them.

I am all about getting my BFF’s together, drinking cocktails, eating cookies and pretending (laugh) that we are wearing our skinny jeans.

Great post.
Velva

sweetpeaskitchen.com January 28, 2011 at 3:06 am

Yummy!! These look great! I will have to give these a try, you are right, I have seen them so many times! I need to see what the hype is all about! 🙂

The Food Hound January 28, 2011 at 1:25 pm

@Barbara: thanks for checking out the Food Hound!! Do you have a blog?? If so, send me the link! I have NOT tried BC’s lemon chicken yet, but it’s totally on my to-make list!!

Mary January 28, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Don’t feel badly. I have yet to try these. They are on my to-do list right after Thomas Keller’s cookies which everyone raves about as well. Your cookies look delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

Chow and Chatter January 28, 2011 at 9:31 pm

one for me please!!!!

Joanne January 28, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Haha given that I spent my entire childhood summers in the hamptons…yes I can honestly say that this is an accurate representation of what it was like. Except I never had cookies this good. Yours look perfectly crisp!